Saturday, May 29, 2010

PEEP!

Oh, Oh, Oh, OHHHHHHH, we have babyish chikkins!!! Would you just look at the face on this child? He is smitten, besotted, enamored, absolutely in love with them. Especially this one. This is one he calls Little Peep. I call her Margie Ann (for my mama's long lost best friend, Margie Ann Smith). I think we've about decided that we can all call them whatever we want. I will name them for the now departed women from my childhood. All the women with whom my mama ran wild with and who in turn taught me a little bit about different kinds of wildness in women. Margie Ann, Lynell, Joellen, Shirley, and Mary Davis Smith. I have no idea what other names Finn will come up with. His darling friend Olive has named one Poddie (adorable). What is it about naming things that is so attractive to humans? Us anyway. We name everything around here, even our vehicles. Strange, but true.


I was gonna get hens, but then I walked in to Buck Moore Feed and found out they had toddlers who were ready to be outside and, well, you know the rest. I was really not interested in baby babies, but I'm fine with this age. FinnigantheCurious and Jackdaddy both kinda wanted babies so, this is a fine compromise. I figure since I am the one that's gonna end up doing all the work, I should be able to choose the level of dependence I'm willing to endure. (A lot, apparently, as we now have 2 dogs, 6 chickens, one kitten, several new fish (either Tortilla or Redhead had babies), zillions of tadpoles, and one child in my our care. (I was gonna make a crack about caring for a grown man, but I didn't. Still haven't.)


This is the other gray one that I call Lynell. I know you're gonna ask me what kind they are. I know that four of them are Americaunas and I can't remember what kind the other two are. They're the kind that lay eggs. Well, actually, there is a 95% chance that it's the kind that lays eggs. There is a 5% chance that it will be a rooster. There will then be a 100% chance that he will go live somewhere else.


I can't tell any of the Americaunas apart yet so, I don't know who this is. She's cute, whoever she may be.


Look at her sweet little baby feet! She's the smallest of the lot AND the bravest. (Funny how that works.) She was pecking at my skirt this morning, then jumped up on my back and walked up to my head where she poked and pecked in my hair for some time. If we ever get the dreaded childhood lice invasion again, I'm gonna sit my ass right now in that coop and let them go to town. Guess there's a chance I could get loused by them. In that case, I'll just take a blow torch to my head. I am glad to report that the dogs have no interest in them whatsoever. I am reluctant to report that the kitten is literally salivating with desire. I never thought I'd do this, but I made a spray bottle and I've been giving him some little squirts when he comes a prowling. I hate to do that, but he wants them. Badly. Really badly. I hope his instinct to stay dry outweighs his instinct to eat birds. Somehow I doubt it. Well, they just need a few months and they'll be much larger than he is. I won't ever leave them alone when he's out anyway. Famous last words.
Y'all come on by and take a peek at the peeps!

10 comments:

  1. OMG! They are so adorable...I can feel the happiness in your voice! AND see it in your sons face!!! Have a wonderful time with these chicks!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! I can't wait to hear more...You can call your chicken stories "The Wabi-Sabi Chicken Chronicles". Hope they do well! Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. Baby chicks!!! Yippee! Can't wait to see them. I'm so glad you and Karen will be able to advise me when I get mine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adorable! And the chicks are pretty cute, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Soooooo cute! Oh, I can't wait to have chickens! So hoping we'll have a coop this year, but have to wait until after vacation. Enjoy your little babies!

    ReplyDelete
  6. that picture of Finn with the chick is absolutely priceless! Did you put the wire along the ground to keep animals from digging in? Because they WILL dig under your coop. All the folks on the chicken coop tour warned us about that. keep your chicks safe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are so precious. I think the water spray on kitty will teach her, I hope. May they lay many beautiful eggs for you.
    ms.Md

    ReplyDelete
  8. They are so precious. I think the water spray on kitty will teach her, I hope. May they lay many beautiful eggs for you.
    ms.Md

    ReplyDelete
  9. I got a kick out of your comment about naming things, even your car. My in-laws name their cars, and it always struck me as kind of odd, but now I realize lots of people do it. Probably I'm the odd one because I don't name things or remember names, not the fish in the pond, not my kids' gerbils. Even our old dog--I called her "pooch" more often than her name.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm jumping for joy for you! What a wonderful thing for your family to experience. I am so with you on naming them for your mom's dear friends. Our first hamster was named for my mom-in-law.

    And yea, I'm a "namer." Every part of the garden is named and so are the cars (and my computers, too). I figure if I name them, they won't konk on me so fast. I'm writing this to you on Power Bear.

    ReplyDelete

All the action is here in the comments. You want some action, don't you?